Ingredients & Supplies:
- 1 oz Witch Hazel (could also use Vodka or Rubbing Alcohol if you are down with that sort of thing)
- 1 oz Distilled Water (OR substitute this with an extra ounce of Witch Hazel to lengthen the shelf life)
- 20-30 drops of calming Essential Oils (pick from the suggested oils below)
- 2 or 4 ounce Amber Glass Spray Bottle
Method & Use: Use a funnel to add the witch hazel, water, and essential oils into your spray bottle. Tighten the cap, and swirl the bottle around to combine.
To use: Spray 3-4 times onto your pillow before laying down. This mixture contains approximately 2% dilution rate (when using 24 drops of essential oils), which also makes it safe for spritzing lightly onto the body or pajamas of most adults. If you would like to use it directly on pregnant women or children, I would recommend selecting extra-safe essential oils and reducing the dilution rate to 1% (12 drops) or less.
Calming Essential Oils: There are many essential oils that are known for their calming and soothing effects. A few of my favorites are…
- Lavender – This is probably the most popular “calming oil,” and is widely used to relax the mind and body, reduce anxiety and stress, and improve sleep quality
- Sweet Orange – Orange is not just invigorating, it can help give good rest too! Orange oil is said to reduce stress hormones, uplift the mood, and calm the body
- Bergamot – This rest-promoting oil is said to impart cheery effects as well as calming the mind/body and lowering anxiety
- Frankincense – This oil is praised for its stress-relieving properties and its ablity to impart peace and relaxation.
- Roman Chamomile – Chamomile is another popular oil for its mild sedative properties. It may help to calm the nerves and promote relaxation and a feeling of calm.
- Cedarwood – This oil is often used for its soothing and calming effects on the mind, and is said to relieve tension and anxiety.
- Vetiver – A great calming oil to try… some have even claimed that this oil successfully treated their insomnia naturally. Vetiver also claims grounding and calming effects on emotions, and soothing effects on the body.
- Geranium – This soothing oil has been known to help with anxiety, depression, and balancing emotions.
An effective Calming Blend that is both Kid-safe and Pregnancy-safe is:
- 3 parts Lavender
- 2 parts Sweet Orange
- 2 parts Roman Chamomile